How to Become a Member
STAR is an invitation-only organization for trusted advisors interested in making new connections to enhance their ability to serve clients. Members believe it’s important to have access to a network of experts in fields other than their own, so they can provide added value when clients’ needs fall outside their area of expertise.
STAR members must have at least 5 years of experience in their profession. Applicants with less time of service may be accepted for membership if they’re highly qualified or possess a unique skill.
How to Become a Member
The process to join STAR isn’t onerous, but it does require some effort on the part of prospective members. It also gives the organization the opportunity to ensure that only high-caliber trusted advisors are granted the privilege of becoming a STAR member.
Prospective members must:
- Have 10 years of experience in your field.
- Attend your first STAR meeting as a hosted guest of a STAR member, then attend a minimum of two more meetings - no more than six total - before applying for membership. (Sorry, non-members cannot invite guests.)
- Submit your online membership application located at www.star-sandiego.com -> Membership Tab -> Apply for Membership button (at bottom of page).
- Submit your bio (or link to your LinkedIn profile) directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ask two active STAR members to send letters of recommendation directly to the membership chair at: email@example.com. (There is a template on the website under the Documents tab.)
- Provide a credit card online for your STAR name badge. (Once approved, $25 will be charged to activate your membership.)
- Consent to a background check by the Membership Committee (Better Business Bureau, appropriate regulatory bodies, e.g., Board of Realtors, the California Bar, etc.).
We will email you once the STAR Board has reviewed your application and notify you of their decision.
There are no annual STAR membership dues.
Every year, members must attend 6 STAR events and host (register and pay for) 3 guests.
How to Maintain STAR Membership
In lieu of assessing membership dues, STAR has chosen to require the following of members:
Members who fail to adhere to these requirements will be removed from the STAR roster.
- Attend at least six STAR events each calendar year
- Bring at least three qualified guests to STAR events each calendar year, paying for their first visit
- Purchase a STAR badge
If you’d like to learn more about STAR membership, we invite you to visit the FAQ page to see if your question has been answered, or contact the Membership Committee. If you want to apply for membership please click on the button below.